Sunday, July 13, 2008

What....I can get a date at the library??

I am a happily married girl, so I don't have to worry about it anymore, but I remember the time it was hard to find a date. A girl could look everywhere: the grocery store, their favorite bar, church, friends, the horrible blind dates. Later, Internet personal sites became popular (admittedly, that is where I met my husband) and the dating world changed. Around that time an invention called Speed Dating became popular. Most of us know the idea, so I won't elaborate, but even libraries are jumping on the wagon with this one.

The local library, where I live, Alachua County, offers this occasionally at their library. In fact, last time I was at my local branch library, I noticed the invitation.

"Romance by the book" is a little different and asks book lovers to come to the library prepared to discuss their favorite book.

I'm not sure if any matches were successful but you can't help but admire the library's attempt at incorporating this interesting twist.

Interesting, a quick Google search of speed dating library returns over 500,000 hits...hmm, maybe they are on to something.

Citations
Library to hold 'Romance By the Book' speed dating event for book lovers. (26 April, 2007). Retrieved July 13, 2008 from website: http://www.aclib.us/index.php?site_area=about_the_library&page=news&item=00111

No comments: